Thursday 24 May 2018

Simple Summer Dress

This afternoon I made a dress because I needed to sew something rather than needing the dress. I have had the fabric for  a couple of months and it is a light summer fabric despite the fact that it is black which I suppose is not a very summery colour. However  I know it will get worn because it's black, sometimes I choose wild prints and then feel they are too dressy for work or every day wear so at least this is a practical colour.

It was another pattern free affair, I made sure I cut out a top shape big enough to pull over my head without any fastenings and then cut a semi circular skirt.  Not quite a semi circle each piece just a little under.
Now the shape of the skirt has made for a nice swirl but also a bit of a worry on a windy day so it may need an under skirt I don't really want to be adding a lining to this one.  Now do they still do underskirts is it worth making one?  I can honestly say I have never owned one but thinking about the amount of times the fabric is thin or floaty it might be worth it.  Maybe I am just showing my age but I don't want a see through skirt, and usually I just line everything.

I added a thin elastic at the waist, and a little turn up on the sleeve which pressed in nicely in this fabric.

 The reason I have gone for sleeves on this summer dress is that I have a few with bare shoulders and sometimes you need a cover up.  I am loving the sunshine we are having but it is hitting the shoulders so an option with a cover up it is.

Here I tried a pale pink belt to lighten it up a bit, not sure which I prefer.  The dress was a quick make up due to the lack of fastenings and detail, I also have a couple in jersey in this style and they are quick to iron so quite a no nonsense item.  I did try the outdoor photos today but the breeze was blowing the dress about!  That was what alerted me to the need for an underskirt.  

On a different theme the cook where I work has been saving the large tins from food and I now have a little collection that I can use for planting so there will be veg going in those soon.  Lots of lettuces are coming up now so it may be those but up away from pets.




2 comments:

  1. I have much empathy with your opening statement. I jsut keep wanting to sew but don't always 'need' the item! I have just finished a full slip to go under my crochet dress made from the fabric link below. It is ideal for slips and underskirts. I have a white one from years ago and I wear it all the time under tunics when tights are used in winter. It is a lovely dress with a nice skirt shape.

    https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/fabric/dress-fabrics/mf-b-2022-m-plain-slinky-diablo-stretch-jersey-knit-dress-fabric?colour=Beige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Jo, I have had a look and they are out of stock in black but maybe dark brown would work?

      Delete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...