Friday 2 March 2018

Eve Jacket

Well one good thing to say about snow days is that it gives you some extra time to get on with things.  Saying that it is only possible if you managed to stay home and not get stranded like all the people we have been hearing about on the news.  My son has a hotel booked in Scotland for the weekend and still thinks he is going, er I don't think so!  People sleeping in cars and on trains it is just awful, we don't get snow very often but when we do it always brings us to a standstill.  I hope everyone gets home safe and warm soon.

Anyway back to the jacket as I mentioned a few days ago it is a Pattern House pattern that came with Sewing World magazine.  I added a lining and had a few different ideas about the sleeves. First they long, then three quarter and finally now they just come to the elbow because really that it where I would end up pushing them if they were three quarter as they felt a bit odd at that length.


The sleeves would probably have been ok at three quarter if I hadn't added a lining, I would imagine on a simple jersey make of this that would be fine.


I am wearing it now so I feel like I should be going somewhere but the whole idea of this make was to have something to slip on around the house that was a bit smarter than a hoody when it was cool.  It certainly feels warm enough especially with the lining, if just goes in the wardrobe for an 'occasion' it would not get worn.


It doesn't have any fastenings and for my purposes it doesn't need any, I think you could add some sort of frog fasteners or edge to edge closures like hook and eye on the inside if you felt it needed to remain closed outdoors.

Here you can see the lining inside which makes for a nice look and ensures it slides on and off.  I hand stitched it all the way around, along the hem and at the sleeves.  For me hand stitching is quite a nice activity.


My version of this jacket has this little cuff at the elbow, it is not on the pattern but as I mentioned in  my last post I was trying to make this out of just one metre of fabric so I had to put a join in my sleeve.  There is also a join on the inside front facings, it worked and I literally had tiny bits of fabric left but if  you are a beginner I wouldn't recommend doing this as one mistake and you won't be able to finish your project.


I am happy with it now it is finished and I am wearing it with something more neutral.  This morning I came down and got on with the hand stitching straight after breakfast. Then in my impatience I tried it on over my pyjamas and thought oh no I don't like it!  Well is anything really going to look any good over your pyjamas? So maybe next time I'll hold out judgement until I am actually dressed for the day.


4 comments:

  1. I am in awe of your skill, a beautiful make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely now its finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this pattern too and now I really want to make it. I am going to hunt out some ponte and see what I have. Loads of sewing happening here too with a couple of snow days. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a really useful item of clothing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...