Saturday 27 February 2016

February Patchwork Challenge

Well another month is nearly over and I can't believe how quickly! I browsed a number of ideas of what to try in patchwork this month and then I saw a design called windmill 2 on a pinterest pin and I thought I would have a go at that.  I am not sure if it has another name or if the pinner just called it that, it did say it was Japanese.

I opted for another cushion mainly because my puppy is still nibbling and has chewed the corner of one of my cushions so I was one down and in need of a replacement.  Here is a picture of the completed cushion.
I really like the folds because it gives it depth.

I used some of the new fabric which I bought last month, the rest was deconstructed old shirts belonging to my husband.   I didn't have any instructions I just cut up some squares of paper and marked on them where each piece should overlap to make it even.

I pinned all the folds as I didn't want them falling off while I was sewing, it also helped to lay them out on the table to see how I wanted to arrange them.

I have used the same colours in each piece but this would be a great way to use up odd bits.

This was a time consuming piece but I would use it again, it is much more interesting than the flat designs but I can see there being a problem with my dogs getting their paws stuck in the folds and potentially tearing something.  I will have to keep an eye out for that!

I am going to see if I can find more folded designs,  the only issue is what to do with the pieces when they are finished as they are not the kind of styles that you can use in clothing and I don't want to be limited to cushions and quilts.

Aside from sewing that I have read another book this week  ' A Year of Marvellous Ways' by Sarah Winman.  I really enjoyed it, it didn't take me long to get through it which is always a sign I am enjoying a book, but then a little sad it's over. Does anyone else get that? 
Before that I completed ' The Next Time You See Me' by Holly Goddadrd Jones also a good read.







3 comments:

  1. I have just started reading 'A Year of Marvellous Ways' and I am enjoying it so far. Your cushion looks fab, I never heard of this type of patchwork and I am intrigued. Our puppy is a teenager and still chews.... Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christina, I hadn't heard of it either but I am trying to find different things to sew otherwise I tend to stick to the same kind of things. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this design, well done.
    Hope that you had a nice Mothers Day.
    Pam in TX.x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...