Later I tried a circle and I did create one but now I see that was inaccurate but I know how to do it properly next time, I added a frill as I went around just experimenting it wasn't from the book.
Next I managed a granny square, again the first one went a bit wrong but after watching a video it made sense. I really must watch the videos first without just plodding on and getting it wrong. My auntie taught me to knit when I was small and you can't beat watching someone else for learning something. (Providing they are doing it right of course.)
So I am sure it will improve and get neater, these are still a bit wobbly.
Another thing I did this week was to take down my Folksy shop. It has become just an irritant to be honest, it hardly gets any traffic and I feel like every few months I just pay to renew items that no one sees and it doesn't really inspire me to spend time putting up anything new. So I am either going to try a new site or add a buy button here.
So far I haven't started my next piece of patchwork but I do like the look of the cathedral window effect but it looks like it wastes an awful lot of fabric with all the folding and I do hate waste. I will have a look if I can create the same effect without quite so much fabric.