Monday 29 June 2015

Frugal gluten and dairy free pudding

Yesterday after lunch everyone was about to have desert except for me because I usually don't bother now. ( being gluten free means there isn't much I can have unless I bake it or get ripped off with the price!)
I really fancied a desert though so I decided to make one. I had to pop out to get Alpro custard but the shop is just down the road.

I made bread and butter pudding using the genius bread I had in the freezer. ( just a couple of slices)
It was really easy just butter your bread using dairy free spread, cut in to triangles, sprinkle on some raisins, add cinnamon if you like it, pour over half a carton of the custard and drizzle a little syrup over the top.

Here it is before it went in the oven I forgot to take one when it came out but the bits of bread sticking up went nice and crunchy.

It worked out to 70p a portion but that was because the bread  and ready made custard were expensive. If you can get  them on offer or buy cheaper versions it would be less.  Still I thought that was ok considering the cost of a GF ready made desert. 
I may add jam and no syrup next time or vary the fruit.

2 comments:

  1. I have not seen the alpro custard before, I'm trying to cut back on dairy at the moment so may look out for it. Nice simple recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely, wish I could easily get golden syrup here in the US, sadly not much of it about.
    Pam in TX xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...